Saturday, January 1, 2011

Let's Dance

When you approached me with this concept of connection, as a gift we could share in the making, I felt honored. My daughter, who has always been in love with the written word and loves to write, the creative writing major, wants to share in a dialogue with me? I mean I've written some poetry and filled a couple of journals over the years, but this is special. So how do we set it up? Are we going to write about the week's events, keeping in touch, commenting on this and that or perhaps we might pose a question and convey our thoughts to each other?

Shelia Foster says, "A koan is a question or statement that cannot be answered by the mind and puts our awareness into the Mystery, and it opens us into a new paradigm in which the Mystery takes the helm of our attention."

So I suggested we use a koan for our inquiry. Something to take us into the Mystery of our journey together over this next year. In our back and forth communication about how to begin, I am learning how we each approach a project like this and how I feel woefully backward in my blogging know how. But there is the gift, Lauryn's gift. I don't have to worry about any of that. I enjoy piercing the veil of the Mystery from time to time and am willing to show up for the exchange.

It is a choice to wonder now that I have grown up
Matured
And begun the work of living
In the world.
Daily chores, habits of mind, responsibilities
All conspire
To pull me away from the practice of wonder.
So it is choice, that leads me to wonder.

Let me wander into the realm of wonder.
What does it mean to call
Your own year of death?
How does it open up ones capacity to live?
Is it really a choice or just a fancy
To wonder about?
Now is the time to dwell in playful musings and

Dance.

2 comments:

  1. You and Lauren may get discovered for your amazing talents as writers with this blog. I love the "faux" aged background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Juanita. The design is all Lauryn. When she gave me some options to preview, my first choice and hers were the same. I think it is a good omen.

    ReplyDelete