Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Living Lighty

As I grow older, I think more about living lightly. What do I really need and how much stuff is enough? As the queen of kitsch, my family knows how much I like my "stuff". In fact some may say I weigh down the space I live in with the pictures, the plants and the many treasures that I have either found, bought for myself or been given. I have lived in the same house for twenty years and items accumulate over time. Lauryn, you told me about learning of individuals who are making a conscious choice to only own a finite number of possessions. One number you spoke of was less than thirty possessions. I am amazed when I hear a number so low. I mean compared to what I own, it is such a vast difference. Of course this family home is also where the recent children (now living out on their own) have left things to store so, I can honestly say our home houses a lot of memorabilia.

Sometimes the clutter is comforting, but mostly it is distracting. So I clean and organize and the space feels better. Taking down the holiday decorations yesterday, I let go of things just taking up space and all I kept has beauty or serves a purpose. It is a good exercise to practice, letting go of all that does not serve you or is not beautiful or meaningful. If you begin to think of the space around you as energy, the things you don't want or use can literally drain your energy. So back to how much stuff is enough? I find I am asking myself this question in earnest now that my parents are getting older and are finding that the weight of having and caring for things, gets in the way of daily living. I will never be comfortable with a minimalist approach to my home or personal space, but I do appreciate simplicity and the idea shared by my friend Melody in her book Partnering with Your Space,
"Just like people and animals, homes and possessions desire to fulfill the measure of their creation. A crib is made to be a resting place for a baby, not to sit in an attic. A dresser wants to hold clothing, not gather dust in a basement. Artwork desires to contribute beauty to a space not to sit unused in a closet."

As my awareness grows, I realize to create a home that supports my family, I choose to release the clutter, finding good homes for things I no longer need and discarding that which will serve no one. There are many options available to recycle used items such as www.readertoreader.org to donate books to schools in need, www.sharetechnology.org for computers and printers, www.excessaccess.org for furniture, clothing and appliances, and www.freecycle.org . These resources and more are there to consciously move in a direction that supports freedom from clutter. I am open and ready to de-clutter and although I will not likely pare my possessions down to even a mere 100 items, I do envision a healthy decrease in the amount of stuff I presently claim to need.

2 comments:

  1. I was clearing and organizing in my basement the other day and found a stack of neatly folded notebook paper. I opened a few and discovered it was notes from my best friend in high school. We passed those notes in the hall on the way to next classes and signed them "me" lest they got confiscated. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sealed envelope marked "Open on 5/4/22" that I have from sometime in middle or early high school. I wrote it for myself to read on my 40th birthday. I came across it a few weeks ago when we were cleaning the apartment out. I can't imagine or remember what my 12 or 13 year-old self had to say to my 40 year-old self, but I'm excited to find out. Only 12 more years to go.

    ReplyDelete