Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A privileged life she leads

Mosaic/mural in the Mission/Castro district of SF
Struggle is not a word that I would use to describe my life. That's not to say that it has always been easy. I have experienced challenges, grief, fears, disappointments and regrets.  I have felt overwhelmed, depressed, scared and out of control. I have struggled with emotions, relationships, experiences and beliefs, but I don't feel like life has been a struggle. Which has made it difficult for me to tackle this new koan. In many ways, it has brought up for me, again, awareness that, in this world of 6.5 billion people, I am an extremely privileged individual.

Consider these things:

I'm not sure how many 28 year-old women on this planet can say the same.

I mention my age because I know that I say all of this from the relative perspective of youth. I have a lot of living to do and I expect there will be challenges and experiences that I struggle with in the future. As terrifying as it is, there is one bullet point above that I can never be sure will remain true. And as one gets older and more entrenched in this world, the opportunities for grief and injury grow more real.

I am also aware that I began looking at this koan from perhaps the opposite perspective that my mother did. While she thought of the struggle of the individual experience through the story of the moth, I thought of the massive struggle of human and women's rights. So, having stood upon my soapbox and reminded us all of what we may often forget, I have decided to look at this koan from a more personal lens in my next few posts and really explore struggle within my life experience.

2 comments:

  1. You seem very astute for your age. Privileged is so true. I definitely believe the freedom to explore ideas and beliefs make a huge difference in one's ability to be astute. I hope the bullet point you mentioned will always be true. The depth of struggle could be age related, or could be strategy related. Moving through and past struggle skillfully can help it not consume to the degree it often does with many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Juanita. I think there is an important balance between having a broad perspective on things as well as a personal perspective. The concept of struggle is definitely something that is applicable to each individual being as well as social and biological groups. I don't think that I move through my struggles with any more skill or grace than any other person. I just like to keep in mind a larger picture when contemplating my struggles in this world.

    ReplyDelete