Thursday, September 22, 2011

September Retreat

on retreat in September in north Georgia

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life." 
~Robert Louis Stevenson

self-portrait on a leisurely walk around the lake 

I think many times we often forget how the everyday simplicity of our lives hold the key to happiness. This year of writing with Lauryn has helped me discover how much pleasure I find when I simply notice what I am doing as I am doing it. It leads me to respond to my circumstances in a genuine way, bringing joy into my life. Just stopping and taking note of my breath. I can slow it down and focus on how grateful I am that I am here now. I always have tea candles to light and lighting them on a dreary day lifts my mood. The red flowers on the labyrinth path share their beauty for free as I walk the circuits in prayer.

sun-kissed foliage of red and green

It wasn't always so in my life. If there is any wisdom in living to be an elder in our society, I believe it is in the understanding of this principle. It makes for a twinge of saddness that my realization of this did not come sooner, but then I am reminded of all the days to come and I am grateful for the awakening, for it did not come too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment