Saturday, April 9, 2011

It's the pits

Continuing with our current koan, I would like to discuss some struggles I've had with beauty practices currently expected of women in our society. Basically what I would like to tackle in this post is hair. Yes, we all have body hair. Some more than others but, once we hit puberty, we've all got it. And most women spend a whole hell of a lot of time getting rid of it.
Armpit hair study #1 - pop art

Personally, I have never really connected to the reasons behind shaving, waxing, plucking, etc. I know that it is considered attractive and appropriate for a woman in our society to have as little noticeable body hair as possible. I know that the same level of hair removal is not expected of men, though some level of grooming is expected.

Armpit hair study #2 - sepia

For me, removing my body hair was always something that I did to fit in. With the sole exception of occasionally shaving my legs, I never did it because it made my body feel better. Here's what I remember of my indoctrination into our culture of hair removal:
  • My younger sister asking me if I had thought about shaving my legs. Before this I had been blissfully ignorant of any hair on my body beyond what was on my head. I was 13 years old.
  • My mother teaching me to shave my legs with a beige, electric razor from the 70's that pulled out more hairs that it ever shaved.
  • My sister ordering this green goo from Australia that was supposed to remove hair in some manner that was better and easier than shaving or waxing. I had no interest in said green goo, but was talked into being a guinea pig. Let's just say ... never again.
  • Sitting on the bus, my freshman year of high school, listening to my two best friends tell me that they had talked to a guy friend of ours who said I would be really pretty if only I plucked my eyebrows. Before this I had been blissfully ignorant of any hair on my face having any impact on my respective attractiveness.
  • A few weeks later in a hotel room before my grandmother's memorial service, I asked my mother to pluck my eyebrows for the first time.
  • At a pool party in high school, having painful awareness of red bumps on my bikini line from where I had shaved "down there" for the first time. No sunbathing for me.
Armpit hair study #3 - colored pencil
Retrospectively, what makes me uncomfortable about the above experiences is that they reinforced for me the idea that I had to shave, pluck, etc. in order to look clean, good, right, or attractive. It's taken a long time, and being in a supportive relationship, for me to be able to start to deal with my internal conflict over my hair removal practices.
Armpit hair study #4 - thermal camera

I gave up on my bikini line years ago and buy swim wear accordingly. It's been over a year since I've plucked my eyebrows though I still have a habit of pulling them out when I'm stressed or nervous. I haven't shaved my pits since the fall and am getting used to seeing hair there when I wear tank tops. My legs are currently nice and fuzzy. I can see myself shaving them when the weather is warmer, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. I love the creativity of your photographs! I feel bad about the electric razor, but I thought it would be safer than a blade razor. You have such honesty in your writing. I know it comes from the heart. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while to get the photos. You wouldn't know it, but it's hard to take a photo of your armpit without being obvious about taking a picture of your armpit. Once I started making it more of a game and less about trying to get a good photo interesting things started to happen.

    And don't feel bad about the electric razor! I'm sure it was a much safer introduction to shaving than bladed razors. I just thought it was funny in retrospect how out of date it was and how obvious it was that you didn't use it yourself anymore. I think for me the whole point of the memories section was to show how foreign the concept of hair removal was for me. I honestly had never thought about any of it until some other person brought it to my attention.

    To your credit, you were never the person who was bringing it to my attention. It was always my peers who were telling me that this was something I should be doing. You were there when I asked about it and supported me in doing what I needed to in order to fit in.

    ReplyDelete